Thursday, February 13, 2014

It's Been A While - Part One

Welp, it's been over two years since my last post and I don't even know where to begin explaining all that's happened in that time.  I think I'll break it into a few parts so you're not reading a two year saga all at once.  I'm considerate like that.

When I last checked in, I was trying to get my asinine boss to recognize my right to reasonable accommodation.  I was an absolute wreck, eventually finding myself on anti-anxiety meds and seeing a new shrink to deal with the chaos.  It was in his office that I first heard the word reference to myself, anyway.  I didn't want to hear it.  I had too many things to worry about without dealing with a new diagnosis.

In May of 2012, I began having trouble breathing and landed in the hospital with a pulmonary embolism.  I missed a non-mandatory meeting while in the emergency room and my aforementioned asinine boss was PISSED.  Did I mention the meeting was not mandatory?  Ah, well...that was the beginning of the end.

Generally, when one has a pulmonary embolism, that person takes three months off work to recover.  I took three weeks and you'd have thought I had told my boss to go eff himself while I took a fun vacation. Nevertheless, I worked my ass off when I got back to work, just like always.  About a month after returning to work, I was called into the conference room with my boss, his boss and an representative from Human Resources.  The a-hole had finally found a way to legally get rid of me.

I suppose I could have tried to sue, but Florida is a "right to work" state and winning would have been nearly impossible.  I accepted my severance and packed up my things.  I said goodbye to people I had worked with for eleven years, while a man who treated me worse than any employer I've ever had got to feel like he won.  I, on the other hand, felt like a loser.

Well, that covers the first have of 2012.  I'll write up the second half soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment