Sunday, October 9, 2011

New People (EEK!) Part 2 and an Anniversary of Loss

I stressed all week about being faced with new people.  I knew, being the driver, that I wouldn't be able to even have a drink or two to loosen up.  When the ceremony ended, I think I looked pretty calm on the outside, but that's when the panic really set in.  I think my exact thoughts were, "Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit..."  Turned out that I didn't need to freak out at all.

The wedding was perfect.  My friends looked more in love than I have ever seen them look.  My table at the reception was the Chicks, one acquaintance (a sweetheart I had only met once or twice), her husband and son and two women I hadn't met before.  The Chicks sat on either side of me as a buffer, but it turned out it wasn't needed.  We were all friends by the end of the night, even piling (all 6 of us women) into the photo booth at one point, with an open umbrella.  I've never felt more at ease and I know I owe it to my girls' sensitivity to my issues and the bride and groom's desire to put us at a table where we would be comfortable -- table 4 was the PLACE TO BE.  I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a party at all, let alone as much as I did last night.  Congrats again to Cap'n Emo and Private Crumb on starting a new life together!

On the other end of the life event spectrum, today is the 1st anniversary of the day my sweet friend Chris lost her battle with cancer.  She was like no one I've ever known and I can't help but wonder if she wasn't an undiagnosed Aspie, herself.  Regardless, she was someone that everyone loved, even if they didn't like her.  A year out, and her Facebook page is STILL more active than mine.  Just because she's not physically here, doesn't mean she stops being our friend.  I'm grateful to have known her and, now that I'm older, I wish I could be more like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment